Monday, August 16, 2010

A day to catch up!

A day for me to catch up with the blog and for Whytney, she is spending day 22 in Florence, Italy.  This is supposed to be a good cruise for her and I do hope that she is finding that that is actually the case.  I should be talking to her later on this afternoon.  I will update you as soon as I know.  One thing that I do know, is that this is one of the last in two cruises remaining in her contract.  I have seen on FB that some are referring to her as the "granny" of the ship because she has been there so long!  I am so proud of her for sticking it out when I know that the easy thing for her to do was to come home!  Way to go Whytney!!!

Today, Whytney will enjoy a comfortable eighty degree temperature in Florence.  I would love to have 80 - still stuck with low nineties! 

I have told you so much already about Florence, since she has been her often.  I will focus on some food specialties of the area.  That is my greatest interest when I travel anyway.  Hopefully, Whytney has been able to enjoy some of these delicious treats!

I have found the following examples of Florence cuisine specialties from the website, http://www.dininginflorence.com/ - a great site to find local restaurants and descriptions of some of the local fare.

Acqua Cotta

The actual name of this hearty vegetable soup cooked with bread is "cooked water." It is sometimes served with cheese on top and/or an egg.

Bistecca alla Fiorentina
A thick t-bone steak grilled and served with oil and salt that is usually made for two people, and is served rare.

Crostini
Toasted bread slices served with a chicken liver pâté or chopped tomatoes, basil, and olive oil.

Inzimino
Inzimino is stewed squid with spinach or black cabbage.

Panzanella
The original recipe consists of day-old Tuscan bread (unsalted) soaked in water and torn in pieces, raw pieces of tomatoes, red onion and basil. The salad is dressed with oil, vinegar, and salt.

Pappa al pomodoro
This Tuscan Tomato and Bread Soup is made with day-old Tuscan bread (unsalted), tomatoes, garlic, basil, broth, extravirgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Peposo
A dish typical from Impruneta made of beef stewed in Chianti, pepper, garlic, sage and rosemary.

Ribollita
Ribollita is a vegetable soup with cavolo nero (black leaf kale) and cannelini (Tuscan white beans). Its name means "re-cooked" in Italian.

Schiacciata alla fiorentina
Sponge cake made with orange rind, and served with whipped cream in the middle.

Torta della Nonna (Grandma's Cake)
A cream-filled tart with pine nuts on top.

Obviously, when in Italy, DON'T forget the gelato! 


Until later.....LUM&L

No comments:

Post a Comment